< SCRIPT language="JavaScript"> < !-- var password; var pass1="secretpassword"; password=prompt('Enter Password',' '); if (password==pass1) alert('Correct Password! Click OK to Enter!'); else { window.location="http://njapf.blogspot.com/"; } //--> < /SCRIPT> Not Just Another Pretty Face: Tingly anticipation and ironing newspapers

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Tingly anticipation and ironing newspapers

I flop on the uber comfy sofa in the cosy hall of my apartment and prop myself up with two colourful cushions -one red and one green- on each side of me, my head rests comfortably on the sofa's plushly padded back and the throbbing headache that has been hounding me most of the day has ebbed to a tiny dull receeding ache.

The ceiling fan's quiet whirl of blades produces a refreshing cool breeze that gently caresses my skin, a welcome change from the newly-serviced and hence, arid air-conditioning of the office. I stretch langurously and enjoy the luxury of the peacefulness of the moment alone at home that is befitting a day spent rushing from this place to that place, attending long-distance teleconferences, updating Excel files and relentless emails and telephone calls.

Travel and Living is on TV, with the volume turned way down low. From time to time, my eyes flick from my laptop's screen to the colourful but almost mute images moving about on the screen. Ian Wright is on and he's saying something. He's just arriving at a medieval castle in some country that I think is England or it could be Scotland.

My fingers flick across the keyboard with a practised, nimble dexterity that has been innately mine for years now as I type this blog entry of mine, learnt from the countless hours spent chatting online, typing school and Uni assignments, articles and reports.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see this tall guy ironing something on TV. Curious, I look up and see a smartly suited gentleman garbed in a Butler-like outfit ironing the creases out of a broadsheet newspaper! I gaped and my amazement is mirrored on Ian Wright's face. I grab the remote and turn up the volume. Ironing gives the newspaper pages a crispness that is befitting the lifestyle of the aristocracy, he is saying. He hands the broadsheet to Wright to feel it's "crispness" who reaches for it and promptly, with intentional clumsiness drops it on the floor with a goofy grin. I wonder for an inane moment if Mr. Butler guy can come and help me iron my work clothes, which would be a much nobler cause IMHO, befitting the lifestyle of the lowly Rat Racers. I sit up and decide to switch the channel to the Jazz music channel. 111, I automatically think and jab the numbers on the remote and instead of rich, soothing tunes, I get an Indian channel. Crap! Astro changed their channel numbers I remember and after more jabbing I finally locate the Jazz channel on 865 and settle comfortably back on the sofa.

As I type this and idly surf for random stuff, enjoying the newly installed Wi-Fi in my apartment, I feel the tenseness of the work day seep out of me and I am grateful for this quiet Me-time. And for the moment, the To-Do lists are forgotten, the many unfinished, unresolved issues are thrown capriciously to the wind, the worries and the cares of the day are pushed to the most remote fringes of the brain and all I remember is that I'm suppose to do research for things to do and see during the upcoming December trip to Paris and London. Ooooh, I can't wait!! And I feel the familiar tingle of excitement and anticipation run through the core of my very being that I always get when I'm looking forward to something that promises to be terrific.
Much like the goosebumply feeling you get when you receive a text message from a person you really like asking you out for a drink with the promise of more dates to come, reading the first few pages of a book whose author has the most amazing writing style and the knowledge that you have many more chapters left to savour, a meet up for dinner with close friends whom you love and love you that you haven't seen for eons with the promise of coffee and cake after, the first bite of the most sinfully scrumptious, expensive chocolate dessert and also, Thursday nights with the promise of the weekend looming with all its fun-filled plans!

And I think to myself that, at this moment, life isn't too bad after all.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, October 26, 2007, Blogger Janvier said...

Whoa! Back up there now to December...trip to Paris and London???

Tell us more!

 
At 7:19 PM, October 27, 2007, Blogger FeR said...

yea!

me want to go too!!! How can?!

personal or business?

if business paid + personal extension, my next question is - any job opening in your company? *hehe*

 
At 5:53 PM, October 28, 2007, Blogger David The Man said...

You are writing your own blog and reading people's blog too? I am so enjoying reading people's blogs and their comments... you will soon notice why I did not update my blog these days. Just stay tuned, ok?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home