< SCRIPT language="JavaScript"> < !-- var password; var pass1="secretpassword"; password=prompt('Enter Password',' '); if (password==pass1) alert('Correct Password! Click OK to Enter!'); else { window.location="http://njapf.blogspot.com/"; } //--> < /SCRIPT> Not Just Another Pretty Face: My Happy Moments

Sunday, September 30, 2007

My Happy Moments

What do you do when life bogs you down with its seemingly neverending worries, frustrations, dissappointments, hurt and loneliness?

Typically like most girls, most of the time I shop, or eat dessert (the more chocolatey and rich the better...and after that fret and feel guilty about the extra calories), whine to friends who care enough to listen or at least, bear with me (Thank goodness for these special people!), escape KL and run home to Ipoh, and sometimes, as what 3-seconder's tag has reminded me to do, is to reflect on and remember happy moments in your life. A little exercise that should serve as a wake up call to yourself that life has not always been that meaningless or difficult.

So what have been the happiest moments in my life?

I remember a surreal moment in the wee hours of one morning in 1999 halfway up the peak of Mt. Kinabalu. I remember it was freezing, I was exhausted, my legs felt like lead and I was sprawled on the rocky terrain fighting altitude sickeness in the thin mountain air. And then, I saw a small but clear streak of light flicker across the sky. A shooting star! I remember closing my eyes and wishing with all my heart that I would make it to the peak of Mt. Kinabalu, which I subsequently found some hidden strength in me to actually achieve! The feeling at that point was an exhilarating, adrenaline-fueled conviction that I could achieve ANYTHING I put my mind to! Ah, the lovely innocence of youth! *reminicises*

I remember a certain English teacher when I was 16, who set me and some other kids in my tuition class to write an essay that ended with the phrase "...and they looked at each other and smiled." In the two hours allocated, I fancifully wrote a story about this nerdy, bespectacled, plain-looking boy from Ipoh who met the most beautiful girl he had ever seen at his grandmother's 80 year old brithday bash in Penang. The girl gave him a stunning smile across the room (which he thought was meant for somone else and actually looked behind him to see if there was anyone there) but he didn't have the nerve to speak to her at the party. When he went home to Ipoh, it felt like he was a different person, because a girl that beautiful actually noticed him and smiled at him, and that one smile changed his life. He became more confident, he ran for and won the election for Computer Club president and started writing his own software program. The program subsequently won him a scholarship to a presitigious university overseas. One fine day, he spotted a girl walking in front of him who looked very familiar. With his new-found confidence, he went up to her. She turned to him and it was that girl from the party long-ago...and they looked at each other and smiled. Such a childish story, but one I will always remember. *reminisces* My teacher loved the story and the writing. I realized at that point I was actually good at something I enjoyed doing.

More recently, I also recall a surprise birthday party for my 25th birthday planned for me by someone special to me at that time. Everything was just perfect, and best of all, I was really, really surprised and touched. It was one of those unforgettable nights that only happen once in every rose-tinted dream.

And of course, the little things my parents do for me. My happy anticipation as a 12-year old of my dad coming home from US business trips with books for me, where I would always get the Sweet Valley books ahead of their release in Malaysia. My mom sending stuff to me from Malaysia when I was in Glasgow.

It's a short list and nothing overwhelmingly outstanding by most standards except that they are memories and experiences uniquely mine. I think this little exercise sorta worked though...among other things! :)

Have a great week ahead everyone!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, September 30, 2007, Blogger 3-Seconder said...

Ahhhh! You see, mood's uplifted already right!? :)

We all need a little reminder at some point of our life. To keep us going. To let us not fall into despair. To have a little faith in our path.

To be optimistic.

Chewah! I'm sooooooo deep, can die.
hahaha

 
At 6:26 PM, September 30, 2007, Blogger Janvier said...

Clapclapclapclapclap...

:)

 
At 12:16 PM, October 01, 2007, Blogger Valen said...

Writing happy things is a good emotional therapy, huh.

Anyway, I'm sending you a tag, hee hee. Go to: http://valenathome.blogspot.com/2007/10/my-desktop-view-romantic-rome.html

Catch up with you in October!

 
At 5:15 PM, October 05, 2007, Blogger Pr3tty* Knitty~ said...

Good blog here! Thanks for dropping a comment in my blog. I am still guessing who you are gal! Hmmm... Is your name start with C? hahaha! come on, reveal yourself!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home