< SCRIPT language="JavaScript"> < !-- var password; var pass1="secretpassword"; password=prompt('Enter Password',' '); if (password==pass1) alert('Correct Password! Click OK to Enter!'); else { window.location="http://njapf.blogspot.com/"; } //--> < /SCRIPT> Not Just Another Pretty Face: Shades of grey

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Shades of grey


I used to think I had a heart of stone because I never cried when watching movies no matter how much of a tear-jerker it might be for others.

I also remember not shedding a single tear when a certain BM teacher left my school in Form 1 despite my entire class -45 or so 13-year old girls - quietly started sobbing at her emo-parting speech. To be honest, I found it fairly comical (but dutifully controlled my mirth after being admonished by the girl sitting next to me for being "heartless") that everyone was touched by a speech of a teacher we weren't particularly fond of, or at least I wasn't. It pretty much sucked though because the incident made me feel "different" from the other girls.

It's funny now how a decade or so later, I feel a warning stinging of emotions in my eyes at moments where I previously wouldn't have understood why people would cry, like say a scene in a movie or a wedding.

A wedding is supposed to be a happy event, right?

Life exists in shades of grey, and oft' dreary,
Neither stark black nor pristine white,
Perhaps it's best viewed through rose-tinted glass.

I think it's mostly happy but yet, at the same time, a bit sad. One of my closest friends from college and Uni got married today.

We've known each other for eight years and it's really been a journey, a rites of passage if you will, from 18-year olds floundering in an alien environment to twenty-something adults finding their niches in life. How far we've come, how much we've changed! Many are the obstacles and heartache she has had to endure to reach this stage in her life and I sincerely hope the future holds much, much more of the nicest things and just little pebbles of unhappiness for her.

CONGRATULATIONS Geo and Tze Vernn!! I dedicate this post to to your joyous, once-in-a-lifetime occasion!

4 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, April 30, 2007, Blogger 3-Seconder said...

Awww... so sweet of you! It has been a journey each of us will always remember. Though married I'm ever ready to rush over to your side in times when u need me. Phone line's always active :) It was great to have you and lingo over. Thanks for the intense support you girls show to me. I love you all too!

 
At 6:18 PM, May 05, 2007, Blogger FeR said...

warrrhhhh...so fast!

 
At 10:29 AM, May 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

=) Renzze (Karen) from Singapore here... just popping by to say hi!

 
At 4:39 PM, June 18, 2007, Blogger N.J.A.P.F. said...

Hi Karen, when are you and Ethan coming to KL?? Must meet up! ^_^

 

Post a Comment

<< Home