< SCRIPT language="JavaScript"> < !-- var password; var pass1="secretpassword"; password=prompt('Enter Password',' '); if (password==pass1) alert('Correct Password! Click OK to Enter!'); else { window.location="http://njapf.blogspot.com/"; } //--> < /SCRIPT> Not Just Another Pretty Face: I lied to a cop!

Thursday, January 12, 2006

I lied to a cop!

I was on the way to pick up a friend at KL Sentral Monorail station and was running late. I decided to make an illegal U-turn after Brickfields...

OKOK, I admit, even if I wasn't running late, I would have made that U-turn anyways. Yes, so I break some teeny-weeny traffic rules now and then, but really, who dosen't?

The taxi in front of me was making the illegal turn, so I figured, aiyah, no big deal at all-la, late at night already what. It was while I made the turn and while that particular thought was running through my head when I spotted the cop car with the flashing lights and two cops standing by the roadside. T_T

My heart dropped to my knees and my stomach did a flip-flop as I was flagged down by the younger cop. This being my first time ever caught red handed in the act of breaking traffic rules, you see. I was asked to roll down my window, which in my semi-panic I forgot was faulty. It slid down sluggishly, protesting all the while in squeeks and finally got stucked half- way. Darn Wira automatic windows!

The cop asked me to put on my hazzard lights. *gulp*

"Cik, mengapa buat illegal U-turn?" (Why did you make that illegal U-turn?), the cop said.

"Err, kena angkat emak la! Kejar masa!" (I need to pick up my mum, rushing for time!), I said the first thing that came to my mind.

"Pergi mana cepat-cepat ni?" (Where are you headed to in such a hurry?), he asked.

"Er..hospital!!" I smoothly lied.

The younger cop then turned to his older, meaner looking partner and said, "Dia kata pergi hospital..." (She says she's on the way to the hospital...)

Following some significant eye contact between them and looks of disbelieve his partner threw me, the cop turned back to me and said:

"Hospital mana?" (Which hospital?), he asked.

"UH!" (Universiti Hospital), I said choosing it over Sunway Medical because it was nearer

After peering at me suspiciously through my half-open car window , as if measuring if he could trust my words, his face softened and the nice cop resignedly said,
"Hai..OK, saya bagi chance-la..." (Sigh, OK, I'll give you a 2nd chance.)

Relieve washed over me as I drove away. At the same time, I was also half-grinning to myself that I had gotten away with it so easily. Honestly though, I didn't know how I had manage to lie through my nose so glibly. I felt a bit guilty. But only just a bit. Haha.

Perhaps it did help that I was yawning all the while I was driving making my eyes watery and red. Which possibly made my "rushing-to-pick-up-mum-to-go-to-the-hospital" story seem more plausible.

Or perhaps, this is just one of the instances where it's advantageous being a girl. *grin*

2 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, January 14, 2006, Blogger Janvier said...

Hehehe quick thinking there! I remember a friend of my sister's giving another tip before (also only applicable to girls!):
She broke down and cried!
Something the policemen couldn't handle >:)

 
At 12:52 PM, February 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well "njapf", let me tell you that "rushing to hospital" didn't work for a doctor colleague who was caught speeding on the Federal highway. The policemen just told her "I'll write the saman faster lah" :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home