< SCRIPT language="JavaScript"> < !-- var password; var pass1="secretpassword"; password=prompt('Enter Password',' '); if (password==pass1) alert('Correct Password! Click OK to Enter!'); else { window.location="http://njapf.blogspot.com/"; } //--> < /SCRIPT> Not Just Another Pretty Face: What are the odds?

Sunday, December 04, 2005

What are the odds?

  • someone calls you just when you are thinking of that person?
  • you call someone when that person was thinking about you?
  • a person whom you think highly of, thinks highly of you too?
  • when you need someone to listen and comfort you, that person materializes and says and does all the correct things without being told?
  • your deepest desires, although unspoken, magically come true?
  • cut, long-stemmed pink roses last for more than a week?
  • chocolates have zero calories?
  • you see two rainbows in a day?

Despite not being a math genius, economist, statistician or anything even close to it and considering the fact that I always hated the chapter on probability in Add Maths, I think I can still safely say that the odds of these events happening are rare and in some cases almost impossible.

Perhaps then, today was really my lucky day.

I saw a rainbow twice today.


7.30-ish am @ Shah Alam

6.00 pm @ Pantai Hillpark


Yes, I know the rainbow is not that visible in the second pix. =(

But I first spotted it when driving along Federal Highway back from my Yoga class, so I couldn't very well stop my car in the midst of traffic and snap a pix however much I like rainbows right?

By the time I reached home, the lightings had changed, and although the rainbow was still visible, it was faint, fading away! But trust me, it's there in the pix, just a wee short spectrum above the small attic like building, right smack in the middle of the pix. You can see it if you peer closely enough. *hypnotic charm swinging to and fro*

So, I guess, sometimes you do beat the odds. I wonder though when will fickle lady luck smile again?

I hope it's soon. Am already looking forward to chomping greedily on all those guilt-free zero calorie yummylicious chocs! =D

6 Comments:

At 11:39 PM, December 05, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so who gave you those roses? for what occasion? some anonymous lover?

 
At 4:18 PM, December 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 rainbows a day is hardly magical. i tell you why:

1. It is the rainy season, providing once of the crucial ingredients

2. We are living in Malaysia, hence plenty of sunlight, providing the second ingredient. Furthermore, note that you saw the rainbows during sunrise and sunset, correct angles.

3. Three. the sky is filled with... well, sky. Providing the crucial third ingredient.

There. Not so coincidental really.

What would be is: when you saw the first one, you get too engrossed, and a red kancil bumped into your left headlight. when you saw the second one, another red kancil with reverse number plate knocked your right headlight.

Well, actually that would be ironically tragic.

 
At 9:42 AM, December 14, 2005, Blogger N.J.A.P.F. said...

allen: Yes, yes for one and two. Thanks for pointing out the obvious. But couldn't you just let me live in oblivion of that and believe that it's one of those rare events?? Hmphhh...=( I choose not to see the events of the day in such a cold, hard light.

Getting to your third point, I think common and logical sense is perhaps preventing you from enjoying something I believe is one of the simple joys of living.

Tragic, indeed. =D

 
At 1:32 PM, December 14, 2005, Blogger Andrew said...

Are you still waiting for the good luck that comes with seeing double rainbows? Or maybe the act of seeing 2 in a day makes them both cancel each other out?

I saw only 1 that day.. no luck yet either.

 
At 2:38 PM, December 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

erm, dear Non-Japanese Activist for Press Freedom,

I was just saying that it is not so coincidental to witness two rainbows in a day... emphasis is on the coincidence of the event, not the beauty.

the product of sunbeam and tiny raindrops against a backdrop of a clear blue sky with a pinch of orange hue is always nice and happy-inducing, regardless of how many times i see it :)

as for why three points, well... it is because i think of rainbow as a work of art. to paint a good picture, you need paint (raindrops), brush (sunlight) and canvas (sky). well, actually i could add a fourth point: artist (God), but i rather not in case any of your blog-viewers are violently atheistic.

....

(truthfully tho, i think most people who are trained in the discipline of economics can only count to three, and only three... not good mathematicians we are...)

 
At 3:20 PM, December 14, 2005, Blogger N.J.A.P.F. said...

Well, I've never witnessed two rainbows in a day before, so to me it's quite the coincidence.

As for the general stats on how often people have spotted two rainbows in day, hehe, I've no idea, as I've already mentioned, statistics are not my forte. But I'd like to think that it's quite rare. =D

Ahhh...nowI see the symbolism behind the three points after your succinct explanation...ha ha...Hey,
I thought economists were supposed to be good with numbers? No?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home