< SCRIPT language="JavaScript"> < !-- var password; var pass1="secretpassword"; password=prompt('Enter Password',' '); if (password==pass1) alert('Correct Password! Click OK to Enter!'); else { window.location="http://njapf.blogspot.com/"; } //--> < /SCRIPT> Not Just Another Pretty Face: Sun Exercise

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Sun Exercise


Went for my first Yoga try out lesson today. I liked it! And am definitely going to sign up for the course. It's really afordable at RM 120 for 3 months of one hour sessions per week, as it's organized by the Devine Life Society which is a charity orgnization. I've been scouting around for a fitness class, and this is one of the best deals I've come across. They are still accepting participants in the beginner's course for the next two weeks, so if anyone who lives in the Klang Valley wants to sign up, do give it a go, it's fun and good for health!

The class I'm joining is the Beginner's class at the IJM-Cobra sports centre which is near Asia Jaya LRT, Tun Hussein Onn Eye Hospital and Armada Hotel. The class was conducted in the badminton hall and had about 15 participants, of which 14 were girls. Hee hee, guys, this is a good chance to meet chun babes and to get all sweaty with 'em...=D

The instructor gave a brief introduction on the different types of Yoga. The one that I would be learning was called Hatha Yoga, which he explained was for good health both mental and physical, and not achieving other higher goals like being able to levitate yourself...haha, no-la, he didn't say that, but I can't remember what exactly he said about higher goals because I was too eager for the practical part of the class to start.

We were taught a "simple" series of positions called the Sun Exercise. It consisted of a series of 12 steps. I have to admit that some of them were fairly easy, but I had difficulty with some, especially nstep 6 where you have to touch the floor at 8 points (2 hands,2 knees, 2 points of toes, chest and forehead!!), and step 3/10 where my hands hung helplessly just below my knees.(the demonstrator could touch her head to her knees with her hands firmly on the floor)

The instructor and the demonstrators were really helpful and encouraging. In about one hour, we managed to complete 4 repetitions of the Sun Exercise. However, we were told that in a normal sessions, they usually completed 6 repetitions (that's 72 positions) in the span of five minutes before proceeding to more challenging positions...Gosh, looks like there's a long way to go before I can -if ever- emulate their graceful, perfecty poised and smooth, fluid movements of the lady who demonstrated for us.


I'm all excited about getting a Yoga mat at the moment. Some of the girls at the Yoga class told me that Carrefour has a good deal for Yoga mats at just RM 29, or should I get the Nike one at RM 80...

The Nike mat that I spied one of my yoga class members having was powder blue in colour with a navy blue lining...so nice compared to the Carrefour one that was just plain peacock blue... Aiyo, I am torn between aesthetics and practicality!!To choose brand or economy?!!

2 Comments:

At 11:54 PM, October 17, 2005, Blogger Janvier said...

Economy! Spend the money for aesthetics on YOGA TOGS! That way you can use them anytime rather than for just yoga.

 
At 2:00 PM, October 19, 2005, Blogger N.J.A.P.F. said...

Aiyo,I gave in to temptation and bought the Nike one. In my defense, most of the shops had their yoga mats sold out. Is yoga really that popular? The Carrefour one was really bad quality...no more money to spend on togs la, I will just have to continue wearing t-shirt and tracksuit buruk hee hee...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home