< SCRIPT language="JavaScript"> < !-- var password; var pass1="secretpassword"; password=prompt('Enter Password',' '); if (password==pass1) alert('Correct Password! Click OK to Enter!'); else { window.location="http://njapf.blogspot.com/"; } //--> < /SCRIPT> Not Just Another Pretty Face: Colourful iced little gems

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Colourful iced little gems

One of my fav childhood tidbits- little gem biscuits. Actually I still kinda like 'em now, colouring and all :)


I went home to Ipoh for a long weekend last week. My work schedule coincided with my play and managed to get 5 whole days at home.

In the days preceeding to my much needed reprieve up North from the crazy madness that KL often is, I looked forward longingly to those 5 days and "carrotized" it to get through my challenging week ie, I was the burdened donkey plodding stolidly along and Ipoh was the carrot, always dangling tantalizingly close but always a fraction of an inch out of reach.

Funnily enough though, within the span of a few hours back home in Ipoh, I remembered clearly once again all the reasons why I chose to work and live in KL in the first place.

Because Ipoh is the kind of place where you would garner more attention at the local kopitiam if you were a pair of gays holding hands/ a girl dressed in a skimpy cleavage-bearing top smoking a ciggie than if you were sloppily dressed in a holey T-shirt and Bata slippers without a scrap of make-up on, hair askew.

It is the kind of painfully conspicuous place where anonymity does not exist and it would be surprising if you went out to run a simple errand and didn't bump into anyone you know, or your parents know, or know you/ your siblings (not necessarily vice versa!), or know your parents...

Quintessentially, it is the kind of place where it is a city by name but innately, still a quaint small town. Exactly as I left it 10 years ago.

When I'm at home, I cannot wait to leave. But when I'm away for too long, I miss and yearn for it's familiar, comforting embrace. It's been a trend I've noticed in myself for years and I've never managed to exactly place or describe the feeling.

Is this unconditional love? Loving something for everything that it is? Is it blind, obstinate, stupidity? Or is it just an idyllic comfort zone to recharge worn-out batteries?

I guess, in a way, it's a place where I remember what I used to be. A time of youthful naivete and ideals. While I don't exactly yearn to turn back time, I like to pause sometimes in the frenatic pace of growned-up life and return, if only for a while, to the simplicity that I once knew.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home